Lip Augmentation Austin, TX
Lip augmentation creates fuller, plumper lips and reduces fine wrinkles around the mouth. Most commonly, lips may be injected with Juvéderm® or other hyaluronic acid products. Alternatively, if someone wanted a more permanent result, special soft lip implants may be used instead. Another augmentation choice is laser lip rejuvenation, which tightens the natural collagen and elastic tissue beneath the lips.
What Is JUVÉDERM® Injectable Gel?
As we age, the natural volume of youthful lips begins to diminish as wrinkles form and the lips start to thin.
Juvéderm® is a smooth consistency gel made of hyaluronic acid—a naturally occurring substance in your skin that helps to add volume and hydration. Dr. Sholar gently injects the Juvéderm® under the skin to instantly restore your lip’s volume, as well as to smooth away facial wrinkles and folds, like your “smile lines” or “parentheses” (nasolabial folds—the creases that run from the bottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth).
Although lip augmentation is a quick, in-office procedure that can produce a marked improvement in restoring facial fullness and a more youthful appearance, effective and safe use requires a physician with specialized training and a thorough understanding of facial anatomy to recommend and inject an appropriate filler.
Choosing a highly-trained physician like Dr. Sholar to treat your face with injectable fillers means that your treatment will be performed by someone who not only has training in injection therapy, but in all types of non-surgical and surgical facial rejuvenation.
Injectables are not cosmetics! Never allow a nurse, any physician other than a plastic surgeon or dermatologist, or any other unqualified person to perform injectables on you!
Complications from fillers are uncommon, but could be serious. The risks vary depending on the specific filler used and the relative permanence of the filler substance and include:
- Potential infection at the injection site
- Fillers that are not completely fluid and contain microscopic granular substances carry a risk of “clumping”
- Bleeding, bruising, and swelling
- Skin might die (skin necrosis)
- Skin rash, itching and swelling
- Skin redness and sensitivity
- Under or over-correction of wrinkles
The results of soft tissue augmentation using injectable fillers are apparent immediately. Your initial appearance after treatment with any filler may include:
- Mild swelling or bruising
- Temporary numbness or redness
- An “over-filled” appearance to treated areas
These conditions can be alleviated by using ice packs and will improve within a matter of hours or just a few days. You will also be instructed how to massage the treated areas to ensure an optimum result.
The results of soft tissue augmentation with injectable fillers are not permanent, even though a filler substance may be considered permanent. The continued aging of your face and variables in the absorption of fillers will affect how long your results last.
- Immediate return to normal activities (one-day return if sedated) for nonsurgical procedures; depending on the procedure and materials used, recovery period is within a week for surgical procedures.
- Temporary procedures like Juvederm can be appealing to patients who want to experiment with a fuller-lipped look, but not necessarily commit to it.
With Juvéderm® the injection process takes only about 15 minutes and results are immediate. Plus, there’s minimal recovery or downtime, with slight bruising and swelling. This can be minimized by following Dr. Sholar’s instructions.